Seeking Beginning Farmers!
Tilian Farm Development Center is a program of Food System Economic Partnership (FSEP) and was born out of the aspirations of local food and farm advocates in Washtenaw County in collaboration with Ann Arbor Township. As a Center, Tilian works to facilitate new farm business development in order to increase diversified production for local markets, year-round in the SE Michigan food shed. Through its Farm Incubator Program, beginning farmers work to transition from farm experience to building a new farm business, or to expand their existing farm enterprises.
The incubator program encourages beginning farmers with access to land, educational opportunities, production training, and marketing possibilities while they start their own farm enterprise. Tilian provides the opportunity for beginning farmers to take their dreams and make them a reality.
What Tilian Provides
- Access to land
- On-site support from our new Program Manager
- We provide technical assistance for farmers on their business and production plans
- Help ordering seeds, equipment and supplies
- Farmer training
- Assistance getting insurance
- Equipment, irrigation, hoop houses, heated greenhouse space
How it Works
Farmers at Tilian have at least three years to get their operations up and running before transitioning to an independent farm. What is grown at the Tilian Farm belongs to the farmer. We provide assistance in finding retail and wholesale markets.
What the Farmers Provide
- Energy, enthusiasm, and a willingness to learn while working to build their own businesses
- Vision that can be translated into a plan, and then a working farm
- Enough capital to get their farms started
- Ideal candidates have 2-10 years of farm experience
How to Get Started
If you are interested in joining Tilian Farm as a farmer for the 2014 season, please fill out an application. Also, download and review the program manual for more detailed information about the program. Please submit an application.
Feel free to contact our program manager with any questions.