April 4, 2021 @ 10:35 AM
One World Center (OWC) has decided to engage in the fight for real food in the USA, and through its efforts help eliminate food insecurity and hunger in Michigan. We intend to do so by establishing a shining example of a Garden Farm which produces vegetables and fruits grown organically including smaller livestock such as chickens, as an example to follow. And by teaming up with the many organizations and initiatives which already exist around our state, bringing people together around establishing community gardens as one important step to address lack of fresh food availability.
The Farm Manager will team up with the staff at One World Center, in order to make our Real Food Initiative happen, by taking charge of the OWC Garden Farm; working in the Garden Farm, making plans for the production in the Garden Farm and leading the work of volunteers and participants there.
One World Center has currently a Garden Farm of nearly 10,000 sq. ft. for vegetables and 25 chickens and a hoop house of 2,300 sq. ft., and intent to expand the area over the coming years, as well as establishing a one-acre edible forest garden.
Work areas of the Farm Manager:
• Establish the food production at OWC including vegetable garden(s), an edible forest garden and livestock such as chickens, together with the leadership of OWC, participants and volunteers
• Planning the design of the Garden Farm in cooperation with staff at OWC according to seasons and following suitable practices of perma-culture and organic farming including fencing, irrigation and other elements relevant for a successful outcome
• Share knowledge about producing food organically with volunteers, participants and staff at One World Center
• Participate as one of the key persons in the development and expansion of the OWC Garden Farm with activities such as establishing a nursery for plants for the Garden Farm as well as for community gardens around OWC, establish a seed bank, do research and experiment with organic weed control, insect control, bee keeping and more down the road, as the Garden Farm and the Real Food Initiative develops.
IN SHORT, the Farm Manager will be in charge of the work and production of the OWC Garden Farm, as well as participate in the development and expansion including experimenting with new methods of growing food, while being a part of the team at OWC who work with the Real Food Initiative.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCES required
- Minimum 3 year’s experiences in growing food organically
- Certificate or reference letters confirming knowledge connected with growing organic food
- Some experience in directing volunteers or staff in working with growing food
- Communication skills
- Planning skills
- Self-motivated and able to work independently
- Passion for eliminating hunger in Michigan
- Passion for growing organic food
One World Center is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization with the mission to inspire and empower ordinary people to take action against worldwide poverty and climate change. Using an innovative teaching and learning environment, we cultivate social change through the power of ideas and direct action to help build sustainable communities around the world.
One World Center
56968 Dailey Road, Dowagiac, MI 49047
Contact Person: Trine Wendelboe